Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Forlorn Rhinoceros: Representation to Abstract Composition

In our latest design class, Joie and I assigned our students their second composition study. The idea is to take a representational piece, abstract that piece into its basic compositional elements, and then use the composition you made to make a new representational piece. If that doesn't make sense, that's okay! In fact, that's why I did the following as an example for the class:


I started with this painting by Claude Monet titled, "Gare Saint-Lazare". This painting of a train station is already fairly abstracted, being impressionistic in nature, so it made for an easy subject for this example.


I then used 5 values (black, 25% grey, 50% grey, 75% grey, and white) to simplify the composition. This is a sketch of how it might look if the painting had only used these 5 values.


 Then I took those values from the last image and rounded their corners and connected their points to try to come up with the basic composition of the values, contrast, and shapes.


These are some other examples we sent to our students for this assignment:

The original piece here is called, "The Forest Troll" by Justin Gerard, one of my favorite illustrators. He has an extensive series of articles of the process he followed for his piece here


I'm not sure who made this photo (if you do, let me know). This is Joie's example:



No comments:

Post a Comment