Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Viewfinder Project



"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."
Dorothea Lange      


I love looking through different viewfinders. It tells me something about the perspective of what the person who made the camera thought was most important to see.

I chose ten cameras (of all different sorts) to come with me on this project. Ibsor DRP Rodenstock, Ricoh KR-5 Super II, two Instamatics (and a Magicube!), Holga 120, Polaroid 600, Voigtlander Dynamatic, Pax M3, and a Minolta Maxxum 7000 i.

We all went out to a cornfield to look at the world through their viewfinders:



The view from my Canon XSi

Holga 120





Pax M3






Kodak Instamatic X-15F





Kodak Trimlite Instamatic





Magimatic Magicube





Voigtlander Dynamatic




Yes, the black blur in the bottom right hand corner is the lens...

Polaroid 600





Minolta Maxxum 7000i





Ricoh KR-5 Super II





This just so happens to be the same Ricoh II that I shoot most of my Filmonaut projects with.



And now, the crowned glory of my collection:


 Ibsor DRP Rodenstock







Tada! If you are interested in using any of these viewfinders for your own images, please feel free! Here's a link to the folder with the blank viewfinder images inside of them:


If you do end up using any of them, send me a note! I'd love to see what for.


They might come in handy on a project like this:


(From the Voigtlander viewfinder)

No comments:

Post a Comment